Skip directly to content


Key Value Benchmark FAQ

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What’s the point of this benchmark?

Point 1: Demonstrate SQL can be fast. Say what you want about our numbers and benchmark, but the language used to manipulate data was SQL and it clearly wasn’t bottlenecking VoltDB performance. We wanted to show the assumption that dropping SQL is a precondition for performance and scalability is false.


Point 2: VoltDB competes well on simple workloads like the key-value puts and gets, as well as complex workloads like our TPC-C like benchmark.

How can I verify what you did without code or details?

As of today, we’ve made the code used to run the benchmark and

MySQL to VoltDB: Experiences from the field

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Written by Andrew Wilson


Francis Pelland is the Technical Lead for Social Game Universe developing the next generation of The Lightning Platform. The Lightning Platform lets developers build high performance, scalable data platform and provides the management, analytics and the tools to promote and grow social games. He wrote a short guide to help his team get through the transition for PHP developers moving from MySQL to VoltDB. Here’s an excerpt:

Is there PhpMyAdmin or similar?

Yes there is! This tool is called Web Studio.

NewSQL - answer to Big Data's challenges?

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

There’s a lot of buzz in the press, and in the market, about the benefits of NewSQL technologies. Rather than resort to Wikipedia for a definition, we recommend reading an interesting blog post from Rick Nelson, executive editor of Evaluation Engineering, titled: “NewSQL takes advantage of main-memory databases like H-Store.”  


In the blog, Nelson mentions an MIT Online X course, “Tackling the Challenge of Big Data.” This looks like a great course to take to gain a better understanding of the powerful technologies comprising Big (and Fast) Data.


Part of the course, lead by Prof.

NoSQL vs. NewSQL: Choosing the right tool

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Trying to choose a database to solve a problem (or a whole set of them)? Here's a quick rundown of the advantages - and disadvatages - of NoSQL versus NewSQL. Choosing the right tool for the job at hand is 80 percent of getting to a solution; the other 20 percent is really understanding the problem you're trying to solve.


I'll start by pointing out that the term NoSQL is about as descriptive as categorizing unicycles and wheelbarrows as "NoTwoWheels". In truth, NoSQL is a broad category collecting disparate technologies beneath an ambiguous umbrella.

Thoughts on NoSQL Now! 2012

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

One of the best parts about working for a growing start-up is the chance to leave keyboard and office behind and escape to meet users. I spent last week in San Jose at NoSQLNow– a conference designed to bring together users and vendors of “Not Only SQL” products.


VoltDB is, quite proudly, a SQL system and some passers-by raise an eyebrow as we explain this.

VoltDB Explain Plan Command and Planner Testing Tool

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My name is Zheng Li, a UMass Lowell graduate student. I spent the summer as an internship at VoltDB. Over the summer, I primarily worked on two VoltDB features, both related to query plans. The features are:


  1. Explain plan command
  2. Planner testing tool

A query plan is an ordered set of steps used to access or modify information in a SQL relational database management system (see Understanding query plans is important because the first plan chosen to execute will directly affect the query execution time.